Sunday, August 07, 2005

Argentium® Soldering problems

I've been having some problems using the Argentium® solders. I tried just about everything I could think of. I made sure the surfaces matched well. I made sure my silver was clean and scrubbed it down with steel wool. I tried several types of flux. My easy and medium solders worked just fine. It's taken me a couple of weeks to figure it out. I simply needed to clean the solder itself. I started with soap and water and then I scrubbed it with steel wool. Works great now.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marty,

I have had to repair pieces that have been scrubbed with steel wool only to find they turn pink in the pickle - tiny particles of steel left in the surface.

3M synthetic steel wool works well.

Love AS!

Judie

Anonymous said...

Yup, ditch the steel wool. Adding iron to your soldering process is not a good idea. When I need something nice and clean I use a craper. May seem slower but it does it right the first time and no surprises.

Another thing that may surprise you is the flux you use. At one point I was having a hell of a time with some delicate soldering setups so in frustration I went out and bought several different kinds of flux and ran test on them. You'd be amazed at the difference between them! I have my standards now, a home-brew for sterling and brass and Thessco F for Argentium, but I keep the others on hand in case I get into a jam and need to try some other options.

FWIW I almost never have to clean my solder. A good flux for a given job generally does that for you. Needless to say your mileage may vary.

Anonymous said...

"When I need something nice and clean I use a craper."

Whoops! :) That should say "I use a scraper".